Need help to setup an slave for VDSM functional tests

Zhou Zheng Sheng zhshzhou at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Apr 19 01:42:45 UTC 2013

on 04/17/2013 21:21, Eyal Edri wrote:

> [...]

Great!

>> In all, to run VDSM functional tests, we need a VM that is ready to
>> build and install VDSM. There are already some slaves running jobs for
>> building VDSM and unit tests, the environment is almost the same for
>> functional tests. The VM slave needs not be online all the time. There
>> is a Jenkins plugin named "libvirt slave", it can start the VM when the
>> job is triggered, and shutdown it when it's idle for some time. I do not
>> have the privilege to install that plugin. Could you install libvirt
>> slave plugin as well?
>
> we currently don't have ability to start/stop vms or launching any non-amazon vms as slaves.
> (we're working on adding new vms on ovirt-engine instance, which will give us more flexibility with that).
>
> is shutting down the vm part of the test?

Thanks Eyal! The functional tests install VDSM rpms, start/stop
services, add/delete iSCSI LUNs and NFS exports, and if we want to do
glusterfs tests, selinux must be turned off. These actions needs root
privilege. If we give Jenkins slave process these privilege, it results
some security wholes in the slave OS, so I think we'd better run the
tests in a VM slave on demand, and shutdown when idle. As you said, we
do not have the ability to start VMs, so I think if the slave is behind
a NAT and can not be accessed from the public network, we can give the
Jenkins slave process those privileges. Otherwise I have to investigate
some other means to run functional tests safely. I tried libvirt-sandbox
but it seems very complicated to configure a system to run VDSM in
libvirt-sandbox. What do you think?

--
Thanks and best regards!

Zhou Zheng Sheng / 周征晟