libvirt or ovirt

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Tue Feb 12 09:57:58 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 02/12/2013 12:18 AM, Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden wrote:
> Benefits of ovirt:
> - Eating our own dogfood
> - Scales beter when we want to have multiple nodes / HA features
> - Has an extensive API

I'm in favour of using oVirt. One of the things that I liked about
AlterWay's offer was the idea of running oVirt project infrastructure on
oVirt managed VMs.

There are two choices inside the oVirt decision: do we want a separate
oVirt manager, or are we happy having the host managed as a node in
AlterWay's oVirt managed infrastructure? I personally am fine with using
AlterWay's management console for the VMs and the host.

> So libvirt would be a better choice if we want to set up fast, but may
> limit us in the longer run. Also may use fewer resources, but in the
> long run ovirt may allows us to build a bit of monitoring on top of the
> API.

Using AlterWay's oVirt set-up negates the argument about it being longer
to set up too - everything is ready to go right now.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary - Community Action and Impact
Ph: +33 9 50 71 55 62 / Cell: +33 6 77 01 92 13