libvirt or ovirt

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Feb 13 22:01:28 UTC 2013

On 02/13/2013 05:00 AM, Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 12:18:50AM +0100, Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden wrote:
>> In the past we've talked about running libvirt or ovirt on alterway02.
>> Now that we have the server access we should really decide. I want to
>> reach an agreement before the next meeting (monday 18).
>
> I think we have sufficient input (thanks for that!) to make a short
> summary of the thread.
>
> - There seems to be a very strong preference to go for oVirt.
> - Lack of knowledge setting up shouldn't be a problem because we should
>   be able to get plenty of help if needed.
> - Resource wise we think we have enough and if not we'll find that out
>   along the way.
> - Dave suggested use alterways ovirt. Possible problem there is that the
>   user level API was only added in 3.2 which is still beta and I think
>   Alterway is still running 3.1. This could be a project in the future
>   since oVirt to oVirt migrations should be easy.
>
> Can we conclude that we want to install oVirt on alterway02?

+1

> If so
> there's some questions I do have:
>
> - Do we still want to put it on CentOS 6? It has received limited
>   testing, but EL6 is (IMHO) easier to maintain than Fedora.

I also like the idea of using what the oVirt userbase is most likely to run.

> - Do we pick oVirt 3.1 or 3.2? Mike Burns said 3.2 would be the better
>   choice because migration from 3.1 to 3.2 will not be easy. 3.1 would
>   also mean running on F17, 3.2 on F18 (or maybe EL6).

If we can do oVirt 3.2 on EL6 (CentOS, in this case), that sounds like
the best combination.

I like the idea of using our own software, and I like the idea of
running as much as we can on a stable computing platform. We are picking
from the Red Hat family of Linuxes because it's what the people here
know and trust. I do hope one day to see a mix of Linuxes in the oVirt
infrastructure.

- Karsten