New ideas to grow the community

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Feb 25 17:02:32 UTC 2013

On 02/24/2013 01:42 AM, Kiril Nesenko wrote:

> [...]

There's also the idea that we don't want to split communication channels
(mailing lists, IRC, etc.) until it's really necessary.

We can always create new channels if we get too busy in the main location.

The risk is that if we create N channels and split people there, we
reduce the energy in the community.

As Mike points out, we only have 3 meetings in the course of a week. We
do get a little bit of interruption during the meeting, but it's not too
bad. Also, we're showing all the IRC activity of the community in one
location, so we increase visibility to contributors and interested people.

Generally, I prefer to create new channels when it's extremely clear
it's needed. (I can tend to overthink this by creating too much at the
start, so I've learned to pull back to the basics and grow as needed.) I
don't think I see that we've reached the "extremely clear" traffic level.

- Karsten