New ideas to grow the community

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Mon Mar 4 10:41:44 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 02/25/2013 06:02 PM, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:

>>> Would you explain why it's time to fork #ovirt? I do not see TOO much
>>> traffic or confusion there.
>>
>> I think that we need to prepare for the future and do things correctly.
>> I think that this will help the project to grow.

<snip>
> Generally, I prefer to create new channels when it's extremely clear
> it's needed. (I can tend to overthink this by creating too much at the
> start, so I've learned to pull back to the basics and grow as needed.) I
> don't think I see that we've reached the "extremely clear" traffic level.

I agree with Karsten - we split channels when the old ones get too busy
(or do something to manage the busyness).

Some of the things which I think, along these lines, would be very
positive are:
* Consolidating developer lists (arch, vdsm-devel, enginer-devel,
node-devel) into one main developer list to ensure that we get away from
the "mass CC" phenomenon - I previously proposed updating list
descriptions and renaming arch to devel, the difference between
vdsm-devel and engine-devel (where developers talk) and arch (where they
don't, much) has actually grown since then.
* Figuring out how to make the users list more manageable. A few things
come to mind:
  * Opening a forum, so that people don't feel overwhelmed with 50-100
emails a day
  * Figuring out whether there are questions coming to the users list
which really should be FAQs, bugs, or things we can improve in the
design/install process to anticipate some of the questions being asked.
  * Splitting the users list - I do not favour this solution, because
there's no clear unconfusing way to split it.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary - Community Action and Impact
Ph: +33 9 50 71 55 62 / Cell: +33 6 77 01 92 13