Is the wiki slow again?

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Mar 7 00:25:13 UTC 2013

On 02/28/2013 04:27 AM, Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden wrote:
> It feels a bit faster now, but not sure if we did anything or if it was
> slowness in openshift. Anyone has a good idea how to investigate here?

First, we can figure that if the wiki is suddenly slow without us having
done some change, it's probably not anything we did nor can affect
immediately. (Exception to that is if we get a 503 error indicating we
need to restart the app, such as happened with etherpad.ovirt.org last
week.)

We can contact people on #openshift. We can check here:

https://openshift.redhat.com/app/status

We can open a question on the forums, which are well moderated.

If we've got a need for hard, fast support, we've got a few choices. We
can get ourselves a paid subscription, so we get access to the support
portal. The backdoor is to have one of the @redhat.com people use
internal IRC to contact OpenShift folks to escalate our problem.
(Perhaps sometimes people are nose-down and not watching external IRC.)

In general, for something with the symptoms of "slow" and there is no
open issue at the above URL, I think taking a dose of what one doctor
called Tincture of Time might help. Because OpenShift runs on top of
EC2, we can get affected from things happening there that might not even
get reported outward.

If we have ongoing problems, anything repeatable, regular slowage, etc.
that is something we can ask OpenShift people to investigate - if it's
happening to us, it's happening to other customers, and we could be
helping them get ahead of a currently-unknown problem.

Does that help? Should we write up an escalation path/method doc?

Which reminds me, what would be a good place to backup our Infra SOP
documents that are on the wiki? (You know, in case the wiki is down.)
Maybe we can do a regular export to HTML in a tree at
resources.ovirt.org/infra?

- Karsten