New ideas to grow the community

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Mar 7 00:47:32 UTC 2013

On 03/04/2013 05:42 AM, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi,
> On 03/04/2013 02:32 PM, Oved Ourfalli wrote:
>>> +1 on opening a forum. +2 if it gets sent to a mailing list (could be
>>> forum@ rather than user@).
>> +3 from me if by sending an E-mail back to forum@ it will
>> automatically post the answer in the forum.
>
> How would oVirt feel about being a guinea pig for Discourse?
> http://www.discourse.org/

I was hoping we'd be able to wait for MailMan 3, but I'm not going to
really suggest that as a blocker unless others are behind the idea.

Main thing I think about as an infra person is, how hard would it be to
migrate content if we switched forums?

Regarding Discourse, it looks *great* - they seem to be really thinking
through the problems in the right way (not just making it open source
but e.g. baking in to the software help for common forum needs.) It
definitely tickles my desire to try out something next generation.

Not sure off-hand, but perhaps ... well, what if we put out the word to
users@ that we were thinking of trying Discourse as a
supplement/replacement for an oVirt community support channel, and would
anyone from users@ be interested in helping Infra build out and maintain
the backend? Also, of course, we might be looking for moderators ... not
sure how Discourse handles that.

- Karsten