Joining Infra team

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue May 7 18:34:25 UTC 2013

On 05/07/2013 04:36 AM, Kiril Nesenko wrote:
> We need to update this page - http://www.ovirt.org/Infrastructure_team_administrators
> 1. rmiddle - is not active anymore

We don't have any current policy about inactivating members. Did Robert
send out email saying he was no longer active, remove him as a
maintainer, etc.?

This page doesn't mention anything about inactivity:

http://www.ovirt.org/Becoming_a_maintainer

It may simply be up to us to decide if we want a policy around
inactivity. It seems to make sense that Infrastructure would be more
strict around this - unlike code contribution under git, root access to
servers can be destructive if an inactive Infra member has their key
compromised, etc.

> 2. oschreib - is not maintaining infra

He was at one point, probably when we formed the Infra group. As above,
we don't have any policy for this.

If we're worried about proliferation of sshkeys with sudo access and
less active Infra members, perhaps we can control specifically who has
access to what rather than "everyone, everything." If someone goes
inactive we can remove their sshkey access, but leave the rest (user ~/,
voting privileges, etc.)

I recall asking Carl Trieloff about this when he and JimJag were
drafting the initial governance for oVirt. I was worried that a Board
and maintainers that grew without much attrition would be unwieldy. They
reassured me it worked out fine - there is no reason to retire people,
if they are not active then they just stop debating and voting, but they
can always come back as per the merit that got them maintainership in
the first place. I haven't seen so far a reason to doubt their reasoning.

> 3. Need to add obasan as apprentice.

So far it appears that new apprentices are added by suggesting of an
existing maintainer. Perhaps we want to make that a more formal
sponsorship arrangement? Each new apprentice needs a sponsor to help get
them started, etc.

Cheers - Karsten