rebasing for oVirt 3.3.1?

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Mon Sep 9 13:28:49 UTC 2013

On 09/09/2013 04:19 PM, Mike Burns wrote:
> On 09/09/2013 08:17 AM, Itamar Heim wrote:
>> with 3.3.0 coming soon, one of the questions I heard is "what about
>> 3.3.1" considering the number of patches fox bugs that went into master
>> branch since since we branched to stabilize 3.3.0.
>> i.e., most of the work in master branch has been focused on bug fixes)
>>
>> so my suggestion is for 3.3.1 that we rebase from master, then move to
>> backporting patches to that branch for the rest of 3.3 time frame.
>>
>> while this poses a small risk, i believe its the best course forward to
>> making ovirt 3.3 a more robust and stable version going forward.
>>
>> this is mostly about ovirt-engine, and probably vdsm. for the other
>> projects, its up to the maintainer, based on risk/benefit.
>>

> I have no objections as long as we're not taking features into the 3.3.1
> release and we're not changing the package set.  We had an issue with
> one of the 3.2.x updates where we pulled a change in vdsm that removed
> the vdsm-gluster package.  As long as we're making every effort to avoid
> features and avoid packaging changes, then I'm happy.

i think there is a feature or two, but i think the version would still
be way better off with this, considering the ratio of patches that went
into it.

I do expect us to do a bit more testing on it than if we didn't rebase,
but i think its worth it.

(as a side note, i also think it will be worth while to release
hosted-engine in async to beta testing / release).