"Last Updated" shows current time instead of last update

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Mon Feb 17 12:43:42 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Sorry for cross-posting. Not sure what's the correct address to discuss this.

Almost all of the pages on the ovirt.org wiki that have "Last Updated:",
actually have:

Last updated: {{CURRENTMONTHNAME}} {{CURRENTDAY}}, {{CURRENTYEAR}}<!--This is markup for current date, do not change-->

thus showing the current date and not the last change date. When searching
google you see the last time its robot happened to fetch the page.

See e.g. [1] for a (possibly non-complete) list.

Not sure if that's intended or not, but I personally find it useless and
misleading. I guess that someone started it some time ago and everyone else
just copied without caring much. Can all of these lines be removed? If anyone
really wants to know when was the last change, they can use:
http://www.ovirt.org/index.php?title=SOME_TITLE&action=history
(which is easily-accessed from the "Page" menu for logged in users. Not sure
why it's not the same for non-logged-in ones). It might be possible to add
some wiki markup to make it automatically show this, but: 1. I tried a bit
and failed (used [2] as a guide) 2. Not sure it's worth it 3. It will increase
the load on the server.

[1] http://tinyurl.com/nyhgt3j
[2] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Magic_words

Best regards,