Scripting guidelines

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Fri Feb 21 13:17:12 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'll reply to Allon's email separately, but...

On 02/21/2014 11:01 AM, David Caro wrote:
> From the company you work for, and a pretty old and active
> participation on open source projects, Dave (cc'd) seems to
> disagree with your view of open source management:
>
> https://opensource.com/business/11/2/leadership-open-source-communities

Leadership

in open source communities
Posted 8 Feb 2011 by David Nalley

(so, not me) :-)

> """ So how are open source communities led? Largely by the people
> doing the work. Most groups have a loosely defined common goal
> (build software widgets, or develop a awesome, open source,
> computer-based fourth grade math curriculum), and decisions are
> made by the people doing the work. There's no manager in place
> dictating edicts about how things must be done or what objectives
> to seek after. Many people object to this method, call it anarchy,
> and claim that it impedes progress. It's true that if the same set
> of people was coerced into a single direction, they might make more
> progress, but there likely wouldn't be the same level of
> innovation. """

I do agree with this.

However: people will look to a leader to figure out what should be
done, in what priority, and who has the authority to give access to
things required to get stuff done. In the absence of an existing
hierarchy, you quickly end up in gridlock. The loosely defined common
goal is important.

Let's take patches as an example. Anyone can write code to implement a
feature, fix a bug, whatever - but someone needs to merge the patches,
bundle up a release, exercise some level of discretion, and give some
guidance as to whether contributed patches will be accepted or not by
setting a direction.

I don't think that a strict hierarchy is needed. But seeding the group
with the people doing the work is important. And that's what we've
done, I think - clearly, David, Eyal, Ewoud, Rydekull, Kiril, quaid
and myself have the knowledge and do the work (with different levels
of skills and knowledge for different pieces of the infrastructure),
and get to say who gets access to resources and whether contributions
come up to our standards or not.

Cheers,
Dave.