[Kimchi-devel] Kimchi feedback

Paul Clarke pc at us.ibm.com
Fri Jun 6 04:41:03 UTC 2014

Royce, thanks for your very helpful reply...

On 06/05/2014 10:11 PM, Royce Lv wrote:
> The issues you mentioned are:
> 1. There is no convenient way to upload a image.
> 2. When image is uploaded, too complex to fix its permission and get it
> work.
> 3. Warning msg disappear too quickly to see.
>
> As 1 and 2 are related to a feature I'm working on, I want to share with
> you our proposal and see if you like it from view of user:
> 1. convenient way to upload image:
> (1) As flow of :
> ISO server--download-->your laptop--upload-->your server
> is too long, we will supply with a dialog to let users to fill a web
> link and kimchi server will downloaded from the ISO server. So the flow
> becomes:
> ISO server--download-->your virtualization server
> number of download sessions will be limited.

Will this allow for authenticated access (userid, password) as well?

If so, this sounds good to me.  Some users may not be willing to give
Kimchi their credentials, so they will have to use the upload interface
you describe below.  I think this is fine, and still better than today.

> (2) An upload interface will also be provided if you want to upload ISO
> from your laptop.
> also number of sessions will be limited

Is the limit to avoid DoS attacks?  Will you make the limit configurable?

Regardless, this sounds good.

> 2. complex permission fix problem:
> A dedicate directory will created for ISOs, and this directory will be
> monitored, if an ISO is scp to this directory, monitor will call a
> script to change permission.

Will the monitoring be done passively, via inotify, or actively via
polling?  If the latter, I worry about the performance impacts on the
system and the time gap between when the file has been completely copied
and when the permissions have changed so that the file is usable.  This
gap needs to be as close to zero as possible.

> and for 3,
> I think we can add a box to store historical error msg (10 items
> restored), so that user won't miss the latest ones.

I would prefer the message stay on the screen until explicitly dismissed
by the user.  It already has the 'X' button for dismissal.  Is there a
good reason _not_ to leave the message displayed indefinitely?  This is
an error message for a failed action for which remedial action must be
taken by the user.

Regards,
Paul Clarke