[Kimchi-devel] Kimchi feedback

Royce Lv lvroyce at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Jun 6 07:20:44 UTC 2014

On 2014年06月06日 12:41, Paul Clarke wrote:
> Royce, thanks for your very helpful reply...
>
> On 06/05/2014 10:11 PM, Royce Lv wrote:
>> The issues you mentioned are:
>> 1. There is no convenient way to upload a image.
>> 2. When image is uploaded, too complex to fix its permission and get it
>> work.
>> 3. Warning msg disappear too quickly to see.
>>
>> As 1 and 2 are related to a feature I'm working on, I want to share with
>> you our proposal and see if you like it from view of user:
>> 1. convenient way to upload image:
>> (1) As flow of :
>> ISO server--download-->your laptop--upload-->your server
>> is too long, we will supply with a dialog to let users to fill a web
>> link and kimchi server will downloaded from the ISO server. So the flow
>> becomes:
>> ISO server--download-->your virtualization server
>> number of download sessions will be limited.
>
> Will this allow for authenticated access (userid, password) as well?
I think so, and for upload in (2), in the future it will need
authentication as well(I assume),
because this action is related to system administration.

> If so, this sounds good to me.  Some users may not be willing to give
> Kimchi their credentials, so they will have to use the upload
> interface you describe below.  I think this is fine, and still better
> than today.
If you are referring to credential in other website, I think currently
we will just cover some well known website without passwd validation,
such as fedora official ftp and so on.

>> (2) An upload interface will also be provided if you want to upload ISO
>> from your laptop.
>> also number of sessions will be limited
>
> Is the limit to avoid DoS attacks?  Will you make the limit configurable?
True, and we don't want network performance downgrade by too much upload
or download. Making it configurable is a great idea.

> Regardless, this sounds good.
>
>> 2. complex permission fix problem:
>> A dedicate directory will created for ISOs, and this directory will be
>> monitored, if an ISO is scp to this directory, monitor will call a
>> script to change permission.
>
> Will the monitoring be done passively, via inotify, or actively via
> polling?  If the latter, I worry about the performance impacts on the
> system and the time gap between when the file has been completely
> copied and when the permissions have changed so that the file is
> usable.  This gap needs to be as close to zero as possible.
I tend to use inotify hook script to handle this so that we don't need
to periodically polling.

>> and for 3,
>> I think we can add a box to store historical error msg (10 items
>> restored), so that user won't miss the latest ones.
>
> I would prefer the message stay on the screen until explicitly
> dismissed by the user.  It already has the 'X' button for dismissal.
> Is there a good reason _not_ to leave the message displayed
> indefinitely?  This is an error message for a failed action for which
> remedial action must be taken by the user.
Your suggestion is reasonable, above is just my humble opinion:),and I'm
not a UI expert, maybe you and  our UI team can take a look at a more
nature and comfortable experience.