[lago-devel] Drop reposync command

David Caro dcaro at redhat.com
Mon Mar 7 09:36:39 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

I'd like to start a discussion about dropping (at least temporarily) the
reposync command.

The reposync command is used in lago for two things:
 * Downloads locally all the packages defined in the repo conf passed (yum
   config file format)
 * Creates an internal_repo dir in the prefix and copies over all the packages
   that match the distros used in the prefix

The advantage is that once synced, this allows installing any packages on the
vms without having connection to the internet.
The downside is that right now, it downloads everything, needed or not, so it
takes a lot of space and time the first run to cache all the packages.

For that reason on the ovirt system tests we removed the epel/centos base repos
from the reposync (it was ~20G) but as that already makes the tests require an
internet connection, makes the reposync command obsolete (it is caching only
some part of the packages).

So the idea is to drop the reposync command until we have a better alternative
(maybe a small local proxy that caches everything on the first run or something
similar)

--
David Caro

Red Hat S.L.