[lago-devel] Drop reposync command

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Mon Mar 7 10:34:13 UTC 2016

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 11:36 AM, David Caro <dcaro at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'd like to start a discussion about dropping (at least temporarily) the
> reposync command.
>
> The reposync command is used in lago for two things:
>  * Downloads locally all the packages defined in the repo conf passed (yum
>    config file format)
>  * Creates an internal_repo dir in the prefix and copies over all the
> packages
>    that match the distros used in the prefix
>
> The advantage is that once synced, this allows installing any packages on
> the
> vms without having connection to the internet.
> The downside is that right now, it downloads everything, needed or not, so
> it
> takes a lot of space and time the first run to cache all the packages.
>
> For that reason on the ovirt system tests we removed the epel/centos base
> repos
> from the reposync (it was ~20G) but as that already makes the tests
> require an
> internet connection, makes the reposync command obsolete (it is caching
> only
> some part of the packages).
>
> So the idea is to drop the reposync command until we have a better
> alternative
> (maybe a small local proxy that caches everything on the first run or
> something
> similar)

Generally, I'm in favor. I'm wondering if we can make use of the the
already existing yum/dnf local cache?
Since I really don't want to download the packages EVERY time.

What about an interim solution - create an (ISO?) with some base packages -
especially for the released (3.6) binaries, that will not change as often
as master and can be used?
So even if some are outdated - at least it's some of them and not all of
them. And we can update that ISO with newer content once ... a month or a
quarter or so.
Y.