[lago-devel] Bridge Networking

Eric Helms ehelms at redhat.com
Tue Mar 8 17:05:58 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 11:57 AM, David Caro <dcaro at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 03/08 18:53, Barak Korren wrote:
> > On 8 March 2016 at 18:25, Eric Helms <ehelms at redhat.com> wrote:
> > > I am thinking about how to make this more useful to the masses on the
> team.
> > > The question I am asking myself is "can it replace vagrant for some
> > > scenarios". For example, being able to spin up a Satellite +
> Capsule(s) with
> > > DHCP, DNS etc. but allow outside access to the server via a web
> browser.
> > > Since often the setup requires a beefy box that is running on a beaker
> > > machine or server under a desk and developers use their laptops to
> access.
> > >
> > Faced with the same dilemma when running oVirt on Lago on my MiniDell,
> > I've simply setup Apache on it to proxy HTTP traffic into the VM
> > network.
> > With a browser proxy plugin such as foxy proxy configured to make the
> > browser also resolve DNS for domains with certain suffixes over the
> > proxy, I've got a pretty seamless user experience without giving up on
> > the environment isolation.
> >
> > If you want this to be self-contained in a script you give developers,
> > you can perhaps use the Ruby or Python built-in HTTP servers to do the
> > proxying.
>

> I think that a better solution might be exposing ports or similar, though I
> agree that having the possibility to setup external nets is a nice to have.
>
> btw. you can use ssh's -D option to setup a socks proxy server too, simpler
> imo.

Can you help me visualize what this would look like from a code or user
perspective? Right now I have it reduced to "run this script" and
environment gets setup and installation steps occur. Ideally, that same
script would setup or configure whatever is needed so a developer just hits
the IP in their browser and is off and running.

Eric