[lago-devel] Slow reposync

Eyal Edri eedri at redhat.com
Sun May 7 08:22:47 UTC 2017

On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 9:30 AM, Yaniv Kaul <ykaul at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 9:12 AM, Nadav Goldin <ngoldin at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, May 6, 2017 at 7:01 PM, Yaniv Kaul <ykaul at redhat.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Obviously, if I'm syncing a single repo, why is it fetching metadata
>> from
>> > other repos?
>> > We perhaps need to start splitting the config files to multiple conf
>> files?
>> > It makes sense anyway, especially if we run the reposync per each repo
>> > independently anyway?
>>

>> Yep, unfortunately reposync reads all repos in the config, despite the
>> fact only one is enabled for each run. Though I hope that we only pay
>> the penalty for the first repo, so that the next repos should already
>> use the metadata fetched during the first repo synchronization. Thus
>> the overall running time difference should be small. If it fetches the
>> metadata for all repos over and over again then it is a problem.
>>

> It indeed looks like it's only happening for the 1st run.
>

>> Splitting the repo file makes sense, but it might make it harder to
>> maintain, and as I said, I'm not sure if it will have significant
>> effect on the running time.
>>

> It might be actually easier, if different suites can share some repo
> configurations. Not sure.

I also had this idea on creating a single 'common' file so other files can
use/inject/inherit if possible.
We need to come up with a better way to manage the reposync files as
today's status of maintaining the list of packages and repo
across multiple suites is error prone and contains duplicated repos.
I don't have a design idea for it yet though..

> Y.

Eyal edri

ASSOCIATE MANAGER

RHV DevOps

EMEA VIRTUALIZATION R&D

Red Hat EMEA <https://www.redhat.com/>
<https://red.ht/sig> TRIED. TESTED. TRUSTED. <https://redhat.com/trusted>
phone: +972-9-7692018
irc: eedri (on #tlv #rhev-dev #rhev-integ)