[node-devel] Help required to configure shared storage on RHEL+KVM

Sanglikar, Amol (Serviceguard) amols at hp.com
Fri Aug 24 10:20:22 UTC 2012

Hi Ovirt dev-Community,

We have a host running RHEL 6.2 + KVM , and created 2 Virtual machines on the host which are running RHEL6.2.

We are trying to configure shared storage for 2 VMs. This shared storage on VMs should understand the SCSI requests. The reason for this requirement is that we would be using SCSI-3 PR  (persistent reservation ) utils, which is sg3_utils to register / reserve  on the storage/disks.

We believe that exposing the raw LUNs from host to VMs as shared storage (which is same as RDM - Raw Device Mapping in VMware ESX environment )  would meet our above stated requirement.

So can you please help us understand the following

1/  How to expose the Raw LUNs , from host ( RHEL 6.2 + KVM ) to Virtual machines which are running RHEK 6.2.
2/  Also , if there is any alternate way to achieve the above requirement in RHEL + KVM environment, apart from the mechanism we stated , please let us know.

Thanks & Regards,
-Amol