[node-devel] Continous Testing of Node

Fabian Deutsch fabiand at redhat.com
Mon Jun 11 08:39:15 UTC 2012

Hey,

I've already talked about integrating some testing mechanism in our
current build chain [1, 2].
I looked at two existing solutions autotest (used by e.g. KVM folks) [3]
and beaker (used by e.g. Fedora) [4]. Both provide a framework to run
tests on some hardware but didn't match our needs that well, thus easy
integration into jenkins and able to be nicely integrated with node and
be able to be run an real hardware and VMs (with varying
configurations).
Finally I invested some time into a peace of glue (igor), which ties our
current tools together (cobbler, libvirt and livecd-tools) to provide a
lightweight service to do the automated testing and respecting all our
constraints.
igor can be found at [5], it's a small wsgi script awaiting orders via
some RESTless like API. There is also an example script provided to
illustrate how it can be triggered from jenkins. The patch [6] is needed
to add the necessary service to a Node build.

I plan to get the basic integration into our jenkins during the week,
which will be able to do some basic installation tests for now.

- fabian

--
[1] http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/node-devel/2012-April/000204.html
[2] http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/node-devel/2012-May/000221.html