[node-devel] Reworking our TUI installer

Fabian Deutsch fabiand at redhat.com
Mon Nov 26 17:06:37 UTC 2012

Am Mittwoch, den 14.11.2012, 12:10 +0100 schrieb Fabian Deutsch:
> Hey,
>
> I've been working on the TUI rework - which is going on quite well.
> The TUI is build around "UI page plugins". Those are python modules (.py
> files) which put into a predefined directory and are picked up by the UI
> infrastructure and displayed in the main UI. All pages of the new TUI
> are implemented as "UI page plugins".
> Now, while working on this I realized that we could easily build other
> TUI applications around this concept. Our TUI installer for example
> could be just the same TUI base, with a different plugin path and thus a
> different set of UI page plugins. This way we are using the same
> infrastructure and principles for the setup and installer.
>
> I just to share this idea, because I'm still busy with getting the setup
> into a usable state.

Hey,

for now I've prepared an RPM which can be installed using the edit-node
tool (see below). After editing an ISO, install it, login, drop to shell
using F2 and run /usr/bin/ovirt-config-setup to run the new TUI.
The TUI is not very functional yet.
- It runs and picks up the network config defined in /etc/default/ovirt.
In general is the TUI generally manipulating the defaults file (there is
one mechanism for it, which is working), and afterwards (component
specific) applying these configurations.
- All Pages can be displayed
- It has been tested over ssh
- It reacts to screen resizes (try below 80x23)
- The mouse can be used to navigate

It also offers the following functionality:
- Easy creation of pages and dialogs
- Simple model+changes based approach (initial model, and UI adds
changes to this)
- UI can be updated through other threads
- UTF8 support

Additionally it has ton's of issues but it's one a good way.

Greetings
fabian

# wget "http://fabiand.fedorapeople.org/molch/
ovirt-node-molch-plugin-0.0.1-1.gitdffca6d.fc16.noarch.rpm"

# createrepo .

# cat > plugin.repo <<EOF
[plugin_repo]
name=plugin repo
gpgcheck=0
baseurl=http://127.0.0.1:8080/
enabled=1
[fedora2]
name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch
baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/17/Everything/x86_64/os/
enabled=1
metadata_expire=7d
gpgcheck=0
[updates2]
name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch - Updates
baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/updates/17/x86_64/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0
EOF

# python -m SimpleHTTPServer 8080
# and open your firewall ..

# sudo edit-node -n node-w-molch --repo=plugin.repo --install
ovirt-node-molch-plugin --nogpgcheck -vd
ovirt-node-iso-2.5.5-0.1.fc17.iso