[node-devel] About check_existing_hostvg check to auto installation

Wenyi Gao wenyi at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Mar 8 02:58:58 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-07 20:52, Mike Burns wrote:
> On 03/07/2013 04:03 AM, Wenyi Gao wrote:
>> Hey Jbos,
>>

>> When I install automatically the ovirt-node-2.6.1 iso to our machine
>> via pxe, I ran into the following error:
>>
>> Starting ovirt-firstboot: Performing automatic disk partitioning
>> ERROR:ovirtnode.storage:HostVG/AppVG exists on a separate disk
>> ERROR:ovirtnode.storage:Manual Intervention required
>>

>> It seems the auto install will stop if the "HostVG"  exists on the
>> disk on the machine.
>> I checked the code and find the following patch:
>>
>> http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/node-patches/2012-December/003471.html
>>
>> The patch add hostvg check to auto installation to fix rhbz#889198
>> that I have no access to it.
>>
>> It seems it can't auto install ovirt-node via pxe with the patch and
>> need to delete the existing hostvg manually.
>>
>> So what do you think about the issue and could you give me some
>> suggestions to fix it? Thanks.
>
> What is your pxe commandline?  What device are you installing to? What
> device contains the previous installation?
>
> The intention of the fix is to prevent users from wiping data
> accidentally.  It's existed in the TUI install for some time, and was
> previously in the auto-install, but in a migration from bash to
> python, was missed.
>
> As for the bug, it was a customer filed issue in RHEV-H, and not
> something I can make public, unfortunately.
>
> Mike

Thank you answering the question.

My pex command line is as follow:

In the emergency shell

[root at mcptest ~]# cat /proc/cmdline
ksdevice=bootif text BOOTIF=eth0 firstboot storage_init=/dev/sda lang=
upgrade storage_vol=50:1024:512:5:2048:-1 standalone hostname=mcptest
vga=791 rootpw=$1$cfm5kMmj$M1uknfs/8aSeZkJyf/NBC/
root=live:/ovirt-node-image-2.6.1-1.1.el6.iso ssh_pwauth=1
ks=http://9.181.129.219/cblr/svc/op/ks/system/62 rootfstype=auto ro
liveimg nomodeset check rootflags=loop crashkernel=512M-2G:64M,2G-:128M
elevator=deadline processor.max_cstate=1 install rhgb rd_NO_LUKS
rd_NO_MD rd_NO_DM

[root at mcptest ~]# pvs
   PV                                              VG     Fmt  Attr
PSize PFree
   /dev/mapper/3600605b003b86620166a1ddb0bfa15b7p4 HostVG lvm2 a--
1.36t    0

We are installing it to the hard disk , and the previous installation is
RHEVH 6.3. During the installation,
before performing the disk format, it checks that there is a existing
HostVG on the disk, so it stops installing.

Wenyi Gao