[node-devel] About check_existing_hostvg check to auto installation

Mike Burns mburns at redhat.com
Fri Mar 8 12:37:52 UTC 2013

On 03/07/2013 09:58 PM, Wenyi Gao wrote:
> On 2013-03-07 20:52, Mike Burns wrote:
>> On 03/07/2013 04:03 AM, Wenyi Gao wrote:
>>> Hey Jbos,
>>>

>>> When I install automatically the ovirt-node-2.6.1 iso to our machine
>>> via pxe, I ran into the following error:
>>>
>>> Starting ovirt-firstboot: Performing automatic disk partitioning
>>> ERROR:ovirtnode.storage:HostVG/AppVG exists on a separate disk
>>> ERROR:ovirtnode.storage:Manual Intervention required
>>>

>>> It seems the auto install will stop if the "HostVG"  exists on the
>>> disk on the machine.
>>> I checked the code and find the following patch:
>>>
>>> http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/node-patches/2012-December/003471.html
>>>
>>> The patch add hostvg check to auto installation to fix rhbz#889198
>>> that I have no access to it.
>>>
>>> It seems it can't auto install ovirt-node via pxe with the patch and
>>> need to delete the existing hostvg manually.
>>>
>>> So what do you think about the issue and could you give me some
>>> suggestions to fix it? Thanks.
>>
>> What is your pxe commandline?  What device are you installing to? What
>> device contains the previous installation?
>>
>> The intention of the fix is to prevent users from wiping data
>> accidentally.  It's existed in the TUI install for some time, and was
>> previously in the auto-install, but in a migration from bash to
>> python, was missed.
>>
>> As for the bug, it was a customer filed issue in RHEV-H, and not
>> something I can make public, unfortunately.
>>
>> Mike
>
> Thank you answering the question.
>
> My pex command line is as follow:
>
> In the emergency shell
>
> [root at mcptest ~]# cat /proc/cmdline
> ksdevice=bootif text BOOTIF=eth0 firstboot storage_init=/dev/sda lang=
> upgrade storage_vol=50:1024:512:5:2048:-1 standalone hostname=mcptest
> vga=791 rootpw=$1$cfm5kMmj$M1uknfs/8aSeZkJyf/NBC/
> root=live:/ovirt-node-image-2.6.1-1.1.el6.iso ssh_pwauth=1
> ks=http://9.181.129.219/cblr/svc/op/ks/system/62 rootfstype=auto ro
> liveimg nomodeset check rootflags=loop crashkernel=512M-2G:64M,2G-:128M
> elevator=deadline processor.max_cstate=1 install rhgb rd_NO_LUKS
> rd_NO_MD rd_NO_DM
>
> [root at mcptest ~]# pvs
>    PV                                              VG     Fmt  Attr
> PSize PFree
>    /dev/mapper/3600605b003b86620166a1ddb0bfa15b7p4 HostVG lvm2 a--
> 1.36t    0
>

> We are installing it to the hard disk , and the previous installation is
> RHEVH 6.3. During the installation,
> before performing the disk format, it checks that there is a existing
> HostVG on the disk, so it stops installing.

It's possible we're not translating correctly from /dev/sda to
/dev/mapper/3600*.

Can you try one thing?  try adding reinstall instead of install to the
PXE command line.  Also, you probably shouldn't pass both upgrade and
install on the same command line.  It's may be getting confused because
it has both of those.

Joey, can you see if you can reproduce this?

Thanks

Mike