[node-devel] oVirt Node Weekly Meeting Minutes -- 2013-05-21

Mike Burns mburns at redhat.com
Tue May 21 14:52:43 UTC 2013

Minutes:
http://ovirt.org/meetings/ovirt/2013/ovirt.2013-05-21-14.02.html
Minutes (text):
http://ovirt.org/meetings/ovirt/2013/ovirt.2013-05-21-14.02.txt
Log:
http://ovirt.org/meetings/ovirt/2013/ovirt.2013-05-21-14.02.log.html

=================================
#ovirt: oVirt Node Weekly Meeting
=================================

Meeting started by mburns at 14:02:29 UTC. The full logs are available
at http://ovirt.org/meetings/ovirt/2013/ovirt.2013-05-21-14.02.log.html
.

Meeting summary
---------------
* agenda  (mburns, 14:02:36)
   * 3.0.0 updates/plans  (mburns, 14:04:42)
   * future plans/features  (mburns, 14:04:49)

* Node 3.0.0 release  (mburns, 14:06:53)
   * RC spun on Friday (2013-05-17)  (mburns, 14:07:35)
   * new patches fixing compatibility with distros using python 2.6 (EL6
     and derivatives)  (mburns, 14:07:56)
   * targeting new build for Thursday (2013-05-23)  (mburns, 14:09:13)
   * systemd update fixed some issues in the beta build  (mburns,
     14:09:43)
   * ovirt-node-plugin-vdsm initial build posted as well  (mburns,
     14:10:02)
   * some issues with registration due to bugs in the engine_page logic
     (mburns, 14:10:15)
   * vdsm plugin is part of the oVirt release, so not under pressure to
     get fixed for node 3.0.0 GA  (mburns, 14:10:44)
   * f19 needs some additional patches posted  (mburns, 14:13:26)
   * may need update release for 3.0.0 to add F19 support  (mburns,
     14:13:45)
   * ovirt.debug.log will move to /var/log and be rotated (due for 3.0.0
     RC)  (mburns, 14:24:26)
   * puppet plugin will be included in 3.0.0 RC2  (mburns, 14:24:39)
   * cleanup of edit node manifests and manifest diffs will be in 3.0.0
     RC2  (mburns, 14:24:56)

* future plans/features  (mburns, 14:25:28)
   * engine has a feature to create the management network itself
     (mburns, 14:26:08)
   * this has an implicit requirement that the device being used is not a
     bridge device since engine supports bridgeless networks  (mburns,
     14:26:51)
   * this requirement currently cannot be met by ovirt-node  (mburns,
     14:27:04)
   * plan is to investigate for 3.1  (mburns, 14:27:15)
   * initial design:  make a configuration option that can be set by a
     plugin to create/not create the bridge  (mburns, 14:27:44)
   * default configuration would be to create the bridge  (mburns,
     14:28:39)
   * need to check for where we make assumption of a bridged network
     (mburns, 14:28:49)
   * also need to add a configuration for locking out the network
     management locally  (mburns, 14:29:21)
   * so that the vdsm plugin can lock it without having to depend on
     finding a bridge named ovirtmgmt  (mburns, 14:29:39)
   * use case for bridgeless management network -- a system with multiple
     nics where vms only run on the non-management nic  (mburns,
     14:30:21)
   * background discussion is on the arch at ovirt.org list  (mburns,
     14:31:12)
   * Networking  (mburns, 14:31:52)
   * somewhat related to the previous, but we may want to re-design some
     of the networking setup  (mburns, 14:32:15)
   * this is somewhat to make it more modular  (mburns, 14:32:38)
   * there is hesitation to making these changes until the NetworkManager
     bridge support is in  (mburns, 14:32:57)
   * (currently supposed to land in F19)  (mburns, 14:33:07)
   * something to consider doing if it can be done in such a way that we
     can simply replace calls with calls to NM api  (mburns, 14:33:44)
   * otherwise, i'd rather wait for this support to land in Fedora
     (mburns, 14:34:06)
   * also -- unknown if EL will get this support or not  (mburns,
     14:34:28)
   * Installation flow  (mburns, 14:35:38)
   * need to rework some of the installation flow  (mburns, 14:35:48)
   * make it more modular so that new things can be easily plugged in
     (mburns, 14:36:19)
   * things like plugins, iscsi, different flows, puppet, etc  (mburns,
     14:37:05)
   * also need to make the backend more modular and debuggable  (mburns,
     14:37:26)
   * this can probably start now and focus on modularizing and isolating
     (mburns, 14:40:27)
   * Logging  (mburns, 14:40:41)
   * need to get logging cleaner and easier to read  (mburns, 14:40:54)
   * make sure that everything we want logged gets logged  (mburns,
     14:41:11)
   * make it so that we can change logging level for additional debugging
     (mburns, 14:41:29)
   * make all components log correctly (and distinctly)  (mburns,
     14:41:59)
   * also, would be good to get things that we end up needing if certain
     areas fail  (mburns, 14:47:11)
   * for example -- if an upgrade fails, would be good to perhaps get the
     state of various things (blkid, labels, etc)  (mburns, 14:47:16)
   * it may be that we need to add a sos plugin or something  (mburns,
     14:47:23)
   * some libvirt logging seems spurious at the moment -- rbarry to work
     with libvirt/vdsm people to debug  (mburns, 14:47:40)
   * storage config  (mburns, 14:47:49)
   * we may want to investigate the work being done by the anaconda team
     with blivet  (mburns, 14:48:09)
   * perhaps some of the anaconda work for bootloaders as well  (mburns,
     14:49:46)
   * also some generic modularizing and isolating of the various
     functions  (mburns, 14:50:21)

Meeting ended at 14:51:52 UTC.

Action Items
------------