[Users] [Engine-devel] oVirt and Quantum

Gary Kotton gkotton at redhat.com
Mon Apr 30 11:55:29 UTC 2012

On 04/30/2012 10:39 AM, Dor Laor wrote:

> Gary, would it be possible to compare the current major api verbs
> offered by Quantum vs the ones offered by oVirt?
Please look at
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1cLW88tPw-8z_ANXU2WC8gd4U2k-ACrPnMQbgj5wDLz4/edit#slide=id.p
This gives a high level explanation of Quantum and the flows. In short
both Quantum and oVirt enable the creation of logical networks. By
design Quantum hides the network details from the user. In oVirt the
user is able to configure the tags etc. We are in the process of
addressing this.

> It would be nice to review the length/feature-rich of each and also
> the ease of use.
In addition to linux bridge (which is what oVirt uses today), Quantum
supports Open vSwitch, RYU and Cisco UCS - these are not supported by
oVirt at the moment. The RYU and Open vSwitch support OpenFlow

> In addition, what would be the todo items in order to get OVS working
> w/ oVirt?
Actually not much. In fact this is currently supported with the Quantum
integration. There are two parts:
1. The VM vNic management (implemented):
     i. Create a tap device that has "ethernet" as the the network device
     ii. Set the device us UP
     ii. Attach to the integration bridge and configure tags etc. (The
Quantum agent does this part)

2. The host management (to be implemented):
     i. oVirt Engine and VDSM need to indicate which physical network
interfaces will use the integration bridge. This can be one or more NICS
or a bond (in Quantum this is part of a configuration file). We need to
think of a nice way to show this in the GUI.
     ii. The logic in oVirt engine that "decides" if a Host is "Non
Operational" needs to be updated.