[Users] host raiding two LUN from different external storage

Johan Kragsterman johan.kragsterman at capvert.se
Thu Aug 2 05:12:45 UTC 2012

Hi!

Dan, it seems you know something about storage, so I adress you:

I find the oVirt storage framework a bit odd. It has it advantages, but also a lot of disadvantiages, it seems.

I did earlier, in this thread, ask about storage setups you want to use in enterprise environments. And I like to continue that discussion.

If you like to replicate on SAN level between, let's say two different LUN's, that should contain the same informnation for a host, or for a VM, then you end up in trouble if you use the oVirt storage system. Because you need to put the two LUN's from the different datacenters together, to become ONE unit, otherwise you don't get the right uuid for live migration. Isn't right?

As you wrote earlier, this might be solved with gluster, but is it so, that oVirt is going to get enterprise features only in pair with gluster? I don't believe that is a good idea for the adoption of oVirt.

oVirt must have a good support for enterprise features that is used today, like NPIV. I have googled around oVirt and NPIV and didn't come up with much, you can tell me something about it?

I belive it would be good if oVirt supported other storage system types than the one system it supports today, that all storage should be imported and handled by LVM and oVirt engine.

Most enterprise storage today is fibre channel and NPIV based. You boot most the VM's through NPIV LUN's, you add more space through thin provisioning or more NPIV LUN's.
And this is going to continue, even if the Fc world move to FCoE.

So perhaps you can tell me a little bit about the storage strategy that oVirt dev team has?

Rgrds Johan