[Users] Upgrading ovirt-engine from Centos dre repo

Neil nwilson123 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 06:47:15 UTC 2012

Hi guys,

Thank you very much for all your input and assistance.

> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 5:48 PM, Ofer Schreiber <oschreib at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
> it seems that you're using a very old 3.1 build, which we never released
> during the beta process (afair).
>
> this build is a x86_64 build, which confuses the upgrade script (since new
> rpms are noarch).
>
> I can't guarantee it will work fine (although I can't think of any reason it
> won't), but using the --force-setup... parameter is a good option.
>
> Actually, we already fixed this bug upstream, but I'm not sure it will get
> into 3.1.

I'll try the --force-setup today if I get a chance, in a worst case
scenario what could go wrong?
When I run the upgrade will it create a DB backup that can be manually
restored if I have to remove all ovirt-engine packages and start from
scratch?
Anyone have some steps on how to go about restoring from the backup
that the "engine-upgrade --force-setup" creates?

Currently I'm running a two node/hypervisor setup with a SAN as my
data storage, but I can't migrate VM's between the nodes due to what
appears to be a bug, which is the reason for wanting to update the
ovirt-engine. As previously mentioned my engine is installed directly
on one of the nodes/hypervisors.

Would it perhaps be a better idea to install a new ovirt-engine onto a
different server and then migrate to the new engine rather than
updating the current one, or am I just being completely paranoid?

We are running mission critical VM's on the install, so I can't risk
something going wrong and the VM's stop running or access to them is
lost.

Thank you very much.

Regards.

Neil Wilson