[Users] host raiding two LUN from different external storage

Dan Yasny dyasny at redhat.com
Thu Aug 2 07:19:57 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

If you are using SAN level replication, it is not an active/active replication. The second replica is in standby, and if the first LUN fails, you can substitute with the replica (of course you can have corruption that gets replicated and then the storage is gone. RAID is never a substitution for backups).

With oVirt, if you have an offsite LUN replica, for DR reasons, you can take that LUN and attach to an offsite replica of the oVirt setup (engine plus hosts) - and the original storage domain will be right there for you to use. Once the DR setup is operational, VMs can live migrate within it.

> As you wrote earlier, this might be solved with gluster, but is it
> so, that oVirt is going to get enterprise features only in pair with
> gluster? I don't believe that is a good idea for the adoption of
> oVirt.

Gluster has the replication feature built in. So do most enterprise grade storage solutions. If your SAN supports LUN replication, this feature can be used with oVirt or any other system that keeps data on the LUN, no special magic there.

> oVirt must have a good support for enterprise features that is used
> today, like NPIV. I have googled around oVirt and NPIV and didn't
> come up with much, you can tell me something about it?

NPIV is completely out of context here. Generally speaking, Linux supports NPIV (see http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/VirtStorageManagement) so if you handle the actual commands, and oVirt hosts see the LUNs in dev/mapper it will work. In very broad terms of course, oVirt does not care how device-mapper gets to see the LUNs, if they are visible, normally, they can be used.
If you are talking about incorporating NPIV settings in oVirt engine host management, then it's a feature that needs to be spec'd out in the oVirt wiki first, and since it's an open project, anyone willing to actually develop it is welcome to contribute.

> I belive it would be good if oVirt supported other storage system
> types than the one system it supports today, that all storage should
> be imported and handled by LVM and oVirt engine.

You mean clustered filesystems? We already support those, look at PosixFS.
But still, LVM provides a huge advantage over a classical clustered FS - less overhead, simple management using standard Linux commands, amazing scalability (what other virtualization solution scales to hundreds of hosts out of the box?)

> Most enterprise storage today is fibre channel and NPIV based. You
> boot most the VM's through NPIV LUN's, you add more space through
> thin provisioning or more NPIV LUN's.
> And this is going to continue, even if the Fc world move to FCoE.

Actually, I haven't seen NPIV used too much, normally, when you have an FC infrastructure in place, purchasing an extra port/HBA is not an issue, and it's so much easier to manage without virtualizing - plug your cables in, set up zones, and you're good to go.
So I don't agree about "most", but as I said before, if you want to use NPIV, you can, oVirt will simply not manage it for you, at least not in the current version.

> So perhaps you can tell me a little bit about the storage strategy
> that oVirt dev team has?

Everything is in the wiki - read the storage related feature pages. And if you want to pitch in, you are always welcome to

--

Regards,

Dan Yasny
Red Hat Israel