[Users] Node as guest - Nested KVM

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn dennisml at conversis.de
Sat Aug 4 02:02:16 UTC 2012

On 08/02/2012 03:25 PM, Mike Burns wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-08-02 at 09:32 -0400, Douglas Landgraf wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I remember someone asking about this topic few weeks ago, here the
>> steps:
>> http://wiki.ovirt.org/wiki/Vdsm_Developers#Running_Node_as_guest_-_Nested_KVM
>
> Also check out a slightly more generic:
>
> http://kashyapc.wordpress.com/2012/01/14/nested-virtualization-with-kvm-intel/
>
> BTW, with intel, much simpler to add a file in /etc/modprobe.d :
>
> $ cat /etc/modprobe.d/kvm.conf
> options kvm_intel nested=Y
>
> Mike

But does this actually work? The last time I tried (a few weeks ago) I
wasn't able to install a F17 guest inside a F17 guest. The whole thing just
hung early in the installation.
Similar results have been reported here (a follow up post to the one you
posted above):
http://kashyapc.wordpress.com/2012/07/28/nested-virtualization-with-intel-take-2-with-fedora-17/

Regards,
  Dennis