[Users] Installing oVirt with existing VM

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Thu Aug 9 21:56:27 UTC 2012

On 08/09/2012 06:55 PM, Webmaster Comune di Busto Garolfo wrote:
> Hi all, i'm new at this list and ovirt too!
>
> I'm looking at something to manage my vm and i found ovirt.
>
> The situation:
>
> Host: Centos 5.7 x86_64 kvm (intel)
> Guests: 2 * centos 5.7 i386
>
> I can't find much documentation about, so i have a lot of doubt.
> Can i install ovirt to manage existing guests?

you would need to somehow import them over.
for two VM's, easiest would probably be to create similar VMs in ovirt
and copy over the files.

> Can i install ovirt on another machine (i've a centos 6.3 x86_64) and
> manage the one with kvm as a node?

yes, pay attention ovirt was released for fc17 for now, though there is
a repo for el6 as well by dreyou for now.

> What are the steps to do?

install engine, add the other host, create a storage domain, create new
VMs, import or copy over existing VMs.
newer host versions (and hardware) will perform better for virtualization.

oh, that made me remember I don't think there is an ovirt .el5 for vdsm,
so hosts should be either fc17 or .el6.