[Users] New engine install on remote DB fails "uuid-ossp extension is not loaded"

Ian Levesque ian at crystal.harvard.edu
Tue Aug 14 16:12:29 UTC 2012

Hello,

I'm trying to install oVirt 3.1, using an external postgres db running on RHEL6 (postgresql-server-8.4.12-1.el6_2.x86_64). I'm getting the following error during engine-setup:

  Error: uuid-ossp extension is not loaded into the DB.
  Verify with the DB admin that uuid-ossp extension is loaded into newly created databases and rerun the setup.

The database log indicates:

  ERROR:  function uuid_generate_v1() does not exist at character 8
  HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You might need to add explicit type casts.
  STATEMENT:  SELECT uuid_generate_v1();

I did some searching, and it appeared that I might need to add some postgres-contrib functions:

  psql -U postgres -d engine -f /usr/share/pgsql/contrib/uuid-ossp.sql

Unfortunately, it appears that the install script wants to create a temporary database and expects these functions to exist on its newly-created temp DB, not an already-existing database.

Has anyone else been bitten by this? Or have any ideas how to address this?

Thanks,
Ian