[Users] New engine install on remote DB fails "uuid-ossp extension is not loaded"

Yair Zaslavsky yzaslavs at redhat.com
Tue Aug 14 16:58:48 UTC 2012

On 08/14/2012 07:12 PM, Ian Levesque wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to install oVirt 3.1, using an external postgres db running on RHEL6 (postgresql-server-8.4.12-1.el6_2.x86_64). I'm getting the following error during engine-setup:
>
>    Error: uuid-ossp extension is not loaded into the DB.
>    Verify with the DB admin that uuid-ossp extension is loaded into newly created databases and rerun the setup.
>
> The database log indicates:
>
>    ERROR:  function uuid_generate_v1() does not exist at character 8
>    HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You might need to add explicit type casts.
>    STATEMENT:  SELECT uuid_generate_v1();
>
> I did some searching, and it appeared that I might need to add some postgres-contrib functions:
>
>    psql -U postgres -d engine -f /usr/share/pgsql/contrib/uuid-ossp.sql
>
> Unfortunately, it appears that the install script wants to create a temporary database and expects these functions to exist on its newly-created temp DB, not an already-existing database.

Indeed this step is required for postgresql 8.4.x (you have to install
this script).
I did not encounter an issue with this script.
I ran

psql -U postgres -d engine -f /usr/share/pgsql/contrib/uuid-ossp.sql

And the script execution went smoothly (this scripts runs instructions
of create or replace function so it is re-entrant).
Can you please elaborate more on the error you're getting?