[Users] oVirt with UPS Shutdown Software

Neil nwilson123 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 15:05:17 UTC 2012

Hi guys,

I've looked around briefly and can't seem to find much info on this,
so please excuse me if this has already been asked/documented.

I have a UPS with SNMP support and I started installing the management
software(IPP) that it comes with and then it occurred to me that the
shutdown sequence of servers with oVirt 3.1 would be quite critical.
Is there any documentation on shut down sequences or does anyone know
what the recommended way of handling power failures are?

My thinking is that when a power failure is detected by the UPS
software running on the ovirt-engine machine, the VM's need to be
shutdown gracefully, and then the data center needs to be put into
maintenance, before the hosts are eventually shutdown, and then
finally the ovirt-engine needs to be halted.

Any thoughts or ideas/suggestions on the above, can the ovirt-engine
somehow be told to shutdown the VM's and hosts etc?

Thank you very much.

Regards.

Neil Wilson.