[Users] oVirt with UPS Shutdown Software

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Tue Aug 21 15:58:56 UTC 2012

On 08/21/2012 06:05 PM, Neil wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I've looked around briefly and can't seem to find much info on this,
> so please excuse me if this has already been asked/documented.
>
> I have a UPS with SNMP support and I started installing the management
> software(IPP) that it comes with and then it occurred to me that the
> shutdown sequence of servers with oVirt 3.1 would be quite critical.
> Is there any documentation on shut down sequences or does anyone know
> what the recommended way of handling power failures are?
>
> My thinking is that when a power failure is detected by the UPS
> software running on the ovirt-engine machine, the VM's need to be
> shutdown gracefully, and then the data center needs to be put into
> maintenance, before the hosts are eventually shutdown, and then
> finally the ovirt-engine needs to be halted.

wouldn't the hosts have some detection they are going to be shutdown via
a ups event to them, rather than to the engine?
if you know a host is going to go down, would be nice if you either move
it to maintenance, or stop all VMs on it, or migrate all VMs from it
(depending on how global the shutdown is going to be).
if you go with moving it to maintenance, you would also need to activate
it later of course.

> Any thoughts or ideas/suggestions on the above, can the ovirt-engine
> somehow be told to shutdown the VM's and hosts etc?

you can also script this via the API/SDK/CLI based on a monitoring
system getting the UPS event