[Users] [node-devel] Help required to configure shared storage on RHEL+KVM

David Jaša djasa at redhat.com
Wed Aug 29 09:34:19 UTC 2012

(moving to users@, node-devel is definitely a wrong list but I'm not
sure about a correct one)

hi Amol,

Sanglikar, Amol (Serviceguard) píše v Pá 24. 08. 2012 v 10:20 +0000:
> Hi Ovirt dev-Community,
>

> We have a host running RHEL 6.2 + KVM , and created 2 Virtual machines
> on the host which are running RHEL6.2.
>

> We are trying to configure shared storage for 2 VMs. This shared
> storage on VMs should understand the SCSI requests.

IIRC, if you need to pass through SCSI requests from the VM to the
underlying block device, you need virtio-scsi qemu device that is
included in RHEL as a tech-preview since 6.3 - again IIRC.

>  The reason for this requirement is that we would be using SCSI-3 PR
> (persistent reservation ) utils, which is sg3_utils to register /
> reserve  on the storage/disks.
>

> We believe that exposing the raw LUNs from host to VMs as shared
> storage (which is same as RDM - Raw Device Mapping in VMware ESX
> environment )  would meet our above stated requirement.
>

> So can you please help us understand the following
>

> 1/  How to expose the Raw LUNs , from host ( RHEL 6.2 + KVM ) to
> Virtual machines which are running RHEK 6.2.

You should create a shared disk but you can't get it really raw in terms
of scsi commands unless you switch to virtio-scsi. It is raw in a sense
of not using intermediate layers like qcow2 on top of the LUN.

David