[Users] gwt logging.

Tomas Jelinek tjelinek at redhat.com
Fri Aug 31 07:54:03 UTC 2012

Hi Sharad,

well, currently the frontend logs only to the GWT Development Console. So, if you want to see the logs,
you should run the frontend in development mode and see the logs in the console.

If you really want to send the logs to the backend, you can do it like this (this example will be for user portal, you can do it equivalently for web admin) :
1: enable the remote handler in the gwt.xml file for the User Portal like this:
   open the UserPortal.gwt.xml and and add this line to the gwt logging configuration: <set-property name="gwt.logging.simpleRemoteHandler" value="ENABLED" />
2: this is only to enable the handler on the frontend, this handler needs some servlet to send the logs to, which will do the backend part. You can do it
   by editing the web.xml of the User Portal (./frontend/webadmin/modules/userportal-gwtp/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml) and add the following definition to it:
	<servlet>
	    <servlet-name>remoteLogging</servlet-name>
	    <servlet-class>com.google.gwt.logging.server.RemoteLoggingServiceImpl</servlet-class>
	</servlet>
	<servlet-mapping>
	    <servlet-name>remoteLogging</servlet-name>
	    <url-pattern>/org.ovirt.engine.ui.userportal.UserPortal/remote_logging</url-pattern>
	</servlet-mapping>

3: recompile and redeploy the application and it should work

For more details about the GWT logging please consult https://developers.google.com/web-toolkit/doc/latest/DevGuideLogging

But be careful, it is rarely a good idea to send frontend logs to the backend. Even during development you should use the GWT Development Console.

Have a nice day,
Tomas