[Users] VM has paused due to unknown storage error

Shu Ming shuming at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Dec 3 14:47:41 UTC 2012

David Wilson:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Some feedbackon this error, and a question I hope that someone could
> possibly assist with.
> I managed to get the guest running again byusing dd and qemu-img to
> export the filesystem image and base image, convert to raw format and
> run a fsck on the looped partition.
I am happy you make that work.   Can you describe more details about how
you dd the guest image? And how did you use qemu-img to export the
filesystem image and base image.

> When mounted as a loop filesystem, fsck easily repaired it.
>
> Any ideas why oVirt kept pausing the guest and did not allow fsck to
> repair the filesystem?
>

> Get important Linux and industry-related news at: facebook.com/dcdata
> <http://facebook.com/dcdata>
>
> Kind regards,
>
> David Wilson
> CNS,CLS, LINUX+, CLA, DCTS, LPIC3
> *LinuxTech CC t/a DcData*
> CK number: 2001/058368/23
> *Website:* 	http://www.dcdata.co.za
> *Support:* 	+27(0)860-1-LINUX
> *Mobile:* 	+27(0)824147413
> *Tel:* 	+27(0)333446100
> *Fax:* 	+27(0)866878971
>
> On 12/02/2012 11:17 AM, David Wilson wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Sunday fun :)
>>
>> One of our critical Linux VMs ran out of disk space. I cleared up
>> space by removing old application logs within the guest, rebooted the
>> guest and was presented with the following information message during
>> bootup when the filesystem ext3/4 scan runs:
>> /Clearing orhpaned inode ...../
>> Shortly after this message the the guest is paused by oVirt and the
>> "VM has paused due to unknown storage error" message is displayed in
>> the oVirt web GUI.
>>
>> On the physical node itself, I found the following error
>> in/var/log/vdsm/vdsm.log:
>> /libvirtEventLoop::INFO::2012-12-02
>> 09:05:50,296::libvirtvm::1965::vm.Vm::(_onAbnormalStop)
>> vmId=`23b9212c-1e25-4003-aa18-b1e819bf6bb1`::abnormal vm stop device
>> ide0-0-1 error eother/
>>
>> Any ideas on how to get more informationon what exactly the error is?
>>
>> I've tried booting the guest into rescue mode, run a manual fsck on
>> the logical volume but each time the guest is automaticall paused due
>> to the "unknown storage error".
>>
>> We are using a FC SAN for storage, sowhat I've decided to try is
>> export the disk using "dd" on the physical node and then try
>> repairing it by mounting it as a loop filesystem on another physical
>> server, and then use "dd" to import it back in again.
>>
>> Is this the right approach to take to get the system back online?
>>

>> --
>>

>> Get important Linux and industry-related news at: facebook.com/dcdata
>> <http://facebook.com/dcdata>
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> David Wilson
>> CNS,CLS, LINUX+, CLA, DCTS, LPIC3
>> *LinuxTech CC t/a DcData*
>> CK number: 2001/058368/23
>> *Website:* 	http://www.dcdata.co.za
>> *Support:* 	+27(0)860-1-LINUX
>> *Mobile:* 	+27(0)824147413
>> *Tel:* 	+27(0)333446100
>> *Fax:* 	+27(0)866878971
>>

> Time to evaluate your email security provider? Watch the video
> <http://www.mimecast.com/emailsecurity/> and take advantage of
> Mimecast's first ever limited promotion.

---
?? Shu Ming
Open Virtualization Engineerning; CSTL, IBM Corp.
Tel: 86-10-82451626  Tieline: 9051626 E-mail: shuming at cn.ibm.com or shuming at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Address: 3/F Ring Building, ZhongGuanCun Software Park, Haidian District, Beijing 100193, PRC