[Users] Auto-start vms on boot?

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Fri Dec 7 14:49:36 UTC 2012

On 12/06/2012 10:34 PM, Adrian Gibanel wrote:
> It would seem that oVirt does not provide an standard way of forcing boot of virtual machines at boot.
>
> Pools can have pre-started vms as stated here: https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.1/html/Administration_Guide/Prestarting_Virtual_Machines_in_a_Pool.html but pools imply state-less virtual machines and I am talking more about normal virtual machines.
>
> I've found this script:
>
> https://github.com/iranzo/rhevm-utils/blob/master/rhev-vm-start.py
>
> which could do to the trick if run at host boot.
>
> I've also thought (but not tried) to mark a virtual machine as "Highly Available" even if I have only one host (I mean, usually HA only makes sense when you have two hosts).
>
> Marking a VM as H.A. would do the trick?
> Any special reason why there isn't and standard way of marking which vms should be auto-started at boot?
>
> Just wanted to hear your thoughts before filling an RFE.
>

> Thank you.

what exactly is your use case?
the one i'm familiar with is to tie the VM life cycle to a specific
host, so a VM which is pinned to a specific host for a certain task
(say, IDS), is always starting when the host starts, and will be
automatically shutdown when host is moved to maintenance.
so only relevant for VMs which are pinned to a host.

Thanks,
    Itamar