[Users] theoretical scenario

Keith Robertson kroberts at redhat.com
Thu Dec 13 01:58:52 UTC 2012

On 12/12/2012 06:47 PM, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 12/11/2012 09:47 PM, Jonathan Horne wrote:
>> ok, so the process seems pretty obtuse, so let me run this by the list
>> here and maybe I'm just not doing it the best way.
>>
>> 1) i connected an export domain called EXPORTNFS.  the nfs share is
>> physically on my management server (as is iso)
>> 2) exported 1 VM.
>> 3) on the mgmt server, i run "tar zxcf /root/test.tgz
>> /opt/export/[UUID]/images /opt/export/[UUID]/master"
>> 4) for good measure, i use ovirt web gui to delete the exported VM from
>> the export
>> 5) run the command 'engine-image-uploader –u admin at internal upload
>> test.tgz –v –e EXPORTNFS
>> 6) after a while, it completes and i see the VM back in the export
>> storage tab under VM Import.
>>
>> i didn't run the vm yet, but I'm assuming thats a successful export and
>> import.
>>
>> so, it seems if i wanted to export each and every VM from one separate
>> ovirt to another, i would export each VM, tar-gzip it, clear it from the
>> webgui, and start the next one?   IE.. i mean it looks like
>> engine-image-uploader would be pretty unhappy with finding more than one
>> set of VM UUIDs inside?
Yes, it would. If you want to export all of your VMs all at once and
have no plans to rename them or alter them whatsoever, why not just back
up the entire export storage domain and attach to the new DC/Cluster?

WRT to 3.  I agree that is a clunky process to create a portable VM.  I
would like to create a tool that allows you to pick a VM from available
exported ones and subsequently wrap it up into a .tgz. Shouldn't be too
hard.

> apart of Vered's simpler solution, a small note that:
> 1. engine-image-uploader can handle uploading the same image more than
> once and generating uuid's
Correct.
> 2. however, i think this capability is deprecated, since engine has
> recently added support to import a VM which UUID is already imported,
> allowing to create a new VM from the imported one.
Correct.