[Users] oVirt console plans

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Wed Feb 1 14:58:01 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 10:32:05PM +0200, Yaniv Kaul wrote:
> On 01/30/2012 10:25 PM, Adam Litke wrote:

> >>What's tricky with Spice? If there's anything we can do to help make
> >>Spice easier to use, let us know.
> >I had a couple of issues when using spice that I can contribute to the
> >discussion:
> >
> >* The Firefox plugin is not widely available for non-RH Linux distros.
> >* I did not find any documentation for creating an optimal Linux guest with
> >   spice.  (Windows documentation seems a bit more complete).

Which documentation are you referecing? a lot of it is sadly out of
date, but we have ongoing work to translate the newbie and other odp
files to docbook and update it in the same time. Or are you refering to
the wiki? I don't recall docs there for that, but it's also a mess (some
parts at least).

> >* The QXL device was showing up as a Standard VGA Controller in my Windows XP
> >   guest.

So it was also working as such, i.e. sending bitmaps only. If you
install the qxl driver (qxl.sys, qxldd.dll) you will see it as a Red Hat
Virtual GPU or some such message. And performance will improve.