[Users] Some naive questions on ovirt...

Moran Goldboim mgoldboi at redhat.com
Thu Feb 2 14:10:58 UTC 2012

On 02/02/2012 01:48 PM, Deepak C Shetty wrote:
> Hi All,
>     I have few naive Qs for getting some understanding on how things
> are not working in my setup.
>
> I have a very very basic/simple setup.. 1 box hosting ovirt-engine and
> 1 host running f16,
> which is discovered and being managed by the ovirt. I don't have the
> luxury (atleast currently)
> to have a shared san/nas storage setup, so with help on irc, i
> configured and setup local dc
> with local cluster and added host to the local cluster. Now i am in
> the process of adding a virtual
> disk to my VM which i created using ovirt.
>
> 1) The virtual disk ovirt helps create, is a disk with all zeroes...
> so even if i am able to

you created a preallocated empty system disk- this is required result.

> create the vdisk and attach it to the VM, when i start vm, obviously
> it won't boot, as the boot
> disk is not found. How do i let the ovirt use a existing .img

you can use the run once option and change boot-order to boot from a PXE
server or attach a cd (iso files from iso domain) and boot from cd.
there is a neat option to create an iso domain using the installer
(creates nfs share on your ovirt server and connects it to ovirt). or
create an nfs export and attach it to the Data center as a new iso
storage domain.
once you have an iso domain you can copy images there using
engine-iso-uploader, or copy it with ownership 36:36
(path_to_your_share/guid-xxx-xxx/image/11111111-1111-1111-1111-111111111111/)
directly.

Moran.