[Users] Some naive questions on ovirt...

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Fri Feb 3 14:24:46 UTC 2012

On 02/02/2012 01:48 PM, Deepak C Shetty wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have few naive Qs for getting some understanding on how things are not
> working in my setup.
>
> I have a very very basic/simple setup.. 1 box hosting ovirt-engine and 1
> host running f16,
> which is discovered and being managed by the ovirt. I don't have the
> luxury (atleast currently)
> to have a shared san/nas storage setup, so with help on irc, i
> configured and setup local dc
> with local cluster and added host to the local cluster. Now i am in the
> process of adding a virtual
> disk to my VM which i created using ovirt.
>
> 1) The virtual disk ovirt helps create, is a disk with all zeroes... so
> even if i am able to
> create the vdisk and attach it to the VM, when i start vm, obviously it
> won't boot, as the boot
> disk is not found. How do i let the ovirt use a existing .img image file
> which already has a os
> and root fs installed ( i have it from my virt-manager setup). ? I tried
> creatign a new storage
> domain of type iso, but not sure how to add my .img for oivrt to
> see/recognize and allow me to
> select that while creating a new VM ? Again, this is all local, so i
> created /iso/images
> and /data/images directory on my host, and tried keeping my .imgs there,
> but it does not work.

/iso needs to be nfs, so it needs to be exported as nfs.
/iso is intended for cd/dvd images rather for importing pre-installed
images.
see the answer by keith on using maybe virt-v2v for this to get to an
OVF level which you can import.
(hacky solution for local file system would be to create a VM with same
size of disk, then overwrite the image created with your own.

> 2) Is thin provisioning supported with just 1 host in the dc/cluster ?
>  From vdsm_storage pdf
> i found on the wiki, there is a diagram which uses 2 hosts to do the
> thin provisioning...
> so are 2 hosts a must ? Also it talks abt mailbox LV, where the msgs are
> sent and recd between
> vdsm and spm to do the lvextend operation.. i am not clear on where
> physically this LV resides ?
> on host 1, host 2 or somewhere else ? Assuming its shared storage, does
> it mean that i cannot
> do thin prov, with local storage, as is the setup in my case ?

file system based storage domains (local fs, nfs) are thinly provisioned.
the diagram you reference is about block storage.