[Users] ovirt VM custom properties

Brown, Chris (GE Healthcare) Christopher.Brown at med.ge.com
Thu Feb 2 20:51:52 UTC 2012

Andy,
Many thanks!
That got me going the right direction.
I did some extensive testing of with this. Here are the changes I made but basically what I do is:
- If the user specifies a custom property of usbtablet, just rewrite the input tag with:
<input type='tablet' bus='usb'/ id='input0'>
This will of course rewrite the existing <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>
But in this case we know we desire usbtablet so just re-write with what we want.
For non problematic guests or guests to which the agent can be installed we simply remove the custom property after the agent is added.
For legacy guests all the way back to redhat 7.3 and win98/win2k etc we can simply use usbtablet for now.
Once the issues with the mouse input issues with the aforementioned guest types are resolved we again won't need this (hopefully).

- Chris

#!/usr/bin/python
# VDSM Hook Script for RHEV/oVirt
# Enables USB tablet support for a guest
# use rhevm-config for RHEV or engine-config for oVirt to add UserDefinedVMProperties
# EX: rhevm-config -s UserDefinedVMProperties='usbtablet=^(true|false)$' --cver=3.0
# Remember to restart jboss
# Use VM custom property usbtablet=true in vm configuration (Custom Properties)

import os
import sys
import hooking
import traceback

if os.environ.has_key('usbtablet'):
    try:
        sys.stderr.write('usbtablet requested\n')
        domxml = hooking.read_domxml()

        devices = domxml.getElementsByTagName('devices')[0]
	inputdev = domxml.getElementsByTagName('input')[0]

	inputdev.setAttribute('bus', 'usb')
	inputdev.setAttribute('type', 'tablet')
	inputdev.setAttribute('id', 'input0')
        hooking.write_domxml(domxml)
	sys.stderr.write('usbtablet support enabled\n')

    except:
        sys.stderr.write('usbtablet: [unexpected error]: %s\n' % traceback.format_exc())
        sys.exit(2)