[Users] Unable to add ISOs to default ISO storage domain

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Sun Feb 5 09:10:46 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 10:27:10AM -0600, Adam Litke wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 09:26:32AM +0000, Andrew Dunlop wrote:
> > It would appear that the problem was the permissions on the files.
> > after I did a chmod 0755 to the .iso it appeared almost immediately in
> > the web admin.
> > Should the iso-uploader script not have changed the permissions of the
> > file? It appears to have set the correct owner.
>
> Could someone explain why oVirt is even requiring ownership of the iso images by
> a specific user and group?  Isn't it enough to just require read/write
> permissions on the export?  The file ownership requirement is causing us
> problems because we have an NFSv4 storage appliance that refuses to chown files
> to 36:36 because those users are not known to the appliance.

I have a vague, unsubstantiated memory, that this was intentional
decision. Maybe it was intended to differentiate RHEV-available images
from unrelated files on the same nfs export.

However, I consider this behavior ugly, ununixish, and
counter-productive. I wouldn't nack a Vdsm patch that checks readability
only, preferably with a backward-compat mode.

Dan.