[Users] Possible to migrate from an existing KVM/Libvirt VM (installed in an LVM) ?

Mike Burns mburns at redhat.com
Fri Feb 10 12:56:19 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-02-10 at 11:32 +0100, Rutger Verhoeven wrote:
> Goed Question,
>

> I'm currently experimenting with a Fedora 16 server install in
> combination with KVM.
> Would be nice if we could migrate the current VM's to oVirt.
>

> Regards,
>

> Rutger.
>
> 2012/2/10 Morgan Cox <morgancoxuk at gmail.com>
>         Hi
>
>         Can an existing KVM/Libvirt VM (installed in an LVM) ever be
>         migrated to an Ovirt node (offline migration is ok.) ?

There is (or will be) a way to import existing VMs.  I know the
virt-v2v[1] tool exists, but not sure about it working with oVirt yet.
There is also an image uploader tool either available or coming.  (I
don't personally work on either so I'm not sure of the timelines for
them)

>         Also - when Ovirt is released - what OS is the going to be
>         used for .iso for the node - i.e it is going to be based on
>         Fedora or RHEL (centos) ? (i know you can get packages for
>         other os's)

ovirt-node is currently fedora based, though there is a patch pending[2]
that adds some Centos support.  Going forward, it will likely continue
to be fedora based for the main development, though we welcome people
who want to extend it to other distros.  The Centos support was added
when looking at a different management tool (archipel) so compatibility
of a centos node with oVirt Engine isn't known at this point.

Mike

[1] http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v/
[2] http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#change,1738