[Users] [USERS] 2 more questions regarding upgrade of the nodes

Morgan Cox morgancoxuk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 12:56:21 UTC 2012

I got responses in IRC to my questions.

A very nice person - Mburns basically answered all my questions - I had
asked about SWRAID for the nodes too

As always i'm amazed how easy it is to get answers in the opensource world

Many thanks to everybody involved !

Regards

12:36] <mburns> morgan: support life:  it's an open project so support is
just community support
[12:36] <mburns> i haven't heard anything around how we're going to handle
OS upgrades at this point
[12:37] <mburns> but i would think that each ovirt release will be on the
current versions of the different distros
[12:37] <mburns> morgan: regarding nodes, if you're using ovirt-node, then
it's fedora only currently
[12:38] <mburns> there is work being done to be able to create
clients/slaves on different distros, but not as part of the node project
[12:38] <mburns> though we'd love for people who know those distros to help
out creating variants of the node for each
[12:39] <-- ydary has left this server (Quit: Leaving.).
[12:39] <mburns> morgan: upgrading the node:  the way the node is designed,
upgrades are fairly easy and non-destructive
[12:40] <mburns> the base image is dropped in and the configuration and
shared data aren't touched
[12:40] <mburns> morgan: no support for swraid in the node at this time
[12:41] <mburns> morgan: i don't think it's really needed either
[12:42] <mburns> there is minimal configuration to be made on the node, so
re-installation in the case of a lost disk is pretty simple
[12:42] <mburns> the bigger deal is the storage for your datacenters
[12:42] <mburns> and if you're using nfs/iscsi/fc, you definitely want raid
of some sort there