[Users] Ovirt Support life (timeframe) - upgrade path ?

Mike Burns mburns at redhat.com
Fri Feb 10 13:03:39 UTC 2012

I answered with my limited knowledge on IRC, but I'll answer here too
for those who didn't see the IRC questions.

On Fri, 2012-02-10 at 03:48 -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> On 02/10/2012 03:42 AM, Morgan Cox wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > As Fedora the default system that Ovirt is packaged for does this
> > mean that Ovirt will have the same (short) support life of 18
> > months ? I ask as that is a bit short to have in enterprise ..

There is always RHEV if you want longer support...

> Hi Morgan,
>
> I don't have answers to the rest of your question, but just wanted to
> point out that each release of Fedora is maintained for approximately
> 13 months, rather than 18. (The entire life of a release would be
> around 18-19 months, though, if you're including the development
> period.)
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Release_Life_Cycle
>
> Just wanted to clear up any confusion or inconsistencies :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Robyn
>

> > I.e if I install Ovirt in Fedora 16 will support life run out when
> > Fedora 16 runs out or will I be able to upgrade Ovirt/Fedora to the
> > next version?

It's an upstream project, so it's really up to the community in what
they want to support.  I would expect that each release would be
targeted at the current versions of the various distros.  Upgrades
should work from version to version (though that code doesn't exist yet,
AFAIK).

> > Are there going packages for Centos ?  If so will they be supported
> > longer ?

Again, since it's an open source project, there is no official support.
I don't believe there has been any talk about lifecycle yet since we
just sent out our first release yesterday.

> > If this information is out there already can you point me to the
> > right direction ?

No where that I've seen.

Mike