[Users] Ovirt Support life (timeframe) - upgrade path ?

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Fri Feb 10 13:26:52 UTC 2012

On 02/10/2012 08:03 AM, Mike Burns wrote:
> I answered with my limited knowledge on IRC, but I'll answer here too
> for those who didn't see the IRC questions.
>
> On Fri, 2012-02-10 at 03:48 -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
>> On 02/10/2012 03:42 AM, Morgan Cox wrote:
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> As Fedora the default system that Ovirt is packaged for does this
>>> mean that Ovirt will have the same (short) support life of 18
>>> months ? I ask as that is a bit short to have in enterprise ..
>
> There is always RHEV if you want longer support...

Right, I think the first question we should be asking here is...

Morgan, what do you mean specifically by support?

Since it's an upstream project, typically each new release would obviate
the previous one, and new features would only go into the latest version.

One valid question is whether or not bugfixes will only go into the
latest version, or if the immediate prior version will get updates.
(For example, bugfixes are backported to Fedora 15 even though Fedora 16
is out)

Also, the term support from an upstream perspective is much different
than from a product perspective.

Perry