[Users] Ovirt Support life (timeframe) - upgrade path ?

Gary Scarborough virtuallymad at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 02:56:04 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 8:26 AM, Perry Myers <pmyers at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 02/10/2012 08:03 AM, Mike Burns wrote:
> > I answered with my limited knowledge on IRC, but I'll answer here too
> > for those who didn't see the IRC questions.

> > There is always RHEV if you want longer support...
>
> Right, I think the first question we should be asking here is...
>
> Morgan, what do you mean specifically by support?
>
> Since it's an upstream project, typically each new release would obviate
> the previous one, and new features would only go into the latest version.
>
> One valid question is whether or not bugfixes will only go into the
> latest version, or if the immediate prior version will get updates.
> (For example, bugfixes are backported to Fedora 15 even though Fedora 16
> is out)
>
> Also, the term support from an upstream perspective is much different
> than from a product perspective.
>
> Perry

So on a follow up question:  Is any consideration being given to RHEL as
far as compatibility?  Will Ovirt features be held back if adding them
would be impossible to do with RHEL?  Like a feature requiring a major
update to a RHEL package?  Or is it up to the RHEV developers to sort it
all out for their needs?  It won't be long before Fedora outpaces RHEL on
version levels, depending on the time frame for RHEL 7.  RHEL 5 had a very
long life span and was quite dated by the time RHEL 6 shipped.

--
Gary Scarborough
IST Lab Manager