[Users] Problem with required packages when installing ovirt-engine

Terry Phelps tgphelps50 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 17:52:58 UTC 2012

> The problem is that you are installing fedora packages into SL.  They were
> really built for Fedora.  They may actually work, but I believe that their
> are some packages missing from base repos for RHEL, SL, and CentOS.  On
> RHEL, you would get those packages when you added RHEV.  I don't think they
> exist for SL or CentOS.  Look through the January messages on this board.
> SOmeone was doing the install on one of the EL clones and you may find more
> info there.  Otherwise you could try using Fedora.

Thank you. Yes, I naively assumed that this would install on any
reasonablly current RPM-based system, since I didn't see (and still
don't see) any system requirements anywhere in any docs that suggest
otherwise. All I see says "point to our yum repo and install it". When
I saw the failed dependencies when I tries to install the engine, I
started to suspect that this was based on a far "newer" system than I
had.

I have now installed Fedora 16, and will try again.