[Users] Difference between RHEV and ovirt

Andrew Cathrow acathrow at redhat.com
Mon Feb 13 18:48:51 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

A good comparison would be Fedora and RHEL.

All the development work happens upstream in oVirt, so new features appear in and are developed in oVirt.
At some regular interval RHEV will be built from a snapshot of oVirt. It's not as simple as just taking the code as of Feb 13th and search/replace oVirt->RHEV there's stabilization, testing, certification (Microsoft SVVP, WHQL), etc. Then on top of that there's support, patches, security hotfixes, backports ...

oVirt will always be a leading edge platform ahead of RHEV (and anyone else who decides to do a downstream distribution) so expect in most cases the oVirt release to be ahead of RHEV but given the fast release cadence for the next couple of years I don't think the feature gap will be significant.